For the creation of the universe the Shiv element brought forth the Sati. Sati took birth at the house of Daksh Prajapati. She married lord Shiva. Daksha organized a huge Yagna, and to spite Shiva, did not invite him. Sati still went to that Yagna at her fathers without invitation. She and lord Shiva were insulted again and unable to bear that Sati jumped into the Yagna pyre and embraced fire. Lord Shiva became very angry and carrying the body of Sati on his shoulders, he started the Tandav. The entire world shook and panicked. To save the world, Lord Vishnu cut the body of Sati into 51 parts with his Sudarshan Chakra and wherever these parts fell, a Shaktipeeth was establishd.
Before jumping into the Yagna pyre, Sati had wished to marry lord Shiva in the next birth also. After the death of Sati Lord Shiva became a hermit. The Tarkasur demon was terrorizing the world. He got the boon from Brahmaji that he can be killed only by the son of Shiva. Gods got Lord Shiva ready to remarry. Sati took second birth at Maina and Himalayas house and came to be known as Parvati-Uma. After very arduous meditation she got married to Shiva. Their son Kartik destroyed Tarkasur.
Lord Shiva went to kill Demons along with Uma. He brought Uma on the banks of the Saraswati. Uma made fifty two earthen statues. Lord Shiva breathed life into those. These 52 people became the Great Men of the Kadva Patidar Community. Maa Uma became the Kuldevi of Kadva Patidars. She gave them the blessings of happiness, prosparity, growth and her promise to reaching to them at the hour of their need and as and when they remember her. Lord Shiva established Maa Uma at the Umapur.
From the body of Maa Umiya fifty one Shakipeeth were established. In the second incarnation Shiva established the temple of Maa at Unjha, which is her unbroken incarnation and not the Shakipeeth of the body parts. The wishes come true when prayers are offered here.
Sitaji used to pray to Maa Umiya- Gauri. Her wish of marrying Ramchandraji after first meeting at Janak Udhyan, was fulfilled with the blessings of Maa. When she took shelter in the lap of mother earth, she had left luv and kush in the care of Maa Uma. And since then they have been worshipping maa Umiya. Their descendents also prayed to Maa Umiya. Maa Sita was also discovered by Janakvidehi while tending to the farms and Janakvidehi comes across as the first farmer. Patidars are also associated with the farming. Maa Umiya rides a bull, who is known to be the foundation of the farming. This showcases the relations of patidars with Ramchandra-Sitaji, Luv and Kush. Patidars were Kshatriyas, the warrior class and their kuldevi is Maa Umiya only.
Patidars are Aryans. They reached Punjab from the middle Asian regions. Then in the search of good land and water they spread across to different regions and areas. Tired of the wars and hardships in Punjab, they settled at Gujarat via Rajasthan. On the other side, they traveled to U.P, Bihar, Nepal alongside the plains of Ganga and Jamuna. Many traveled via Madhya Pradesh to Maharashtra and right up to Tamil Nadu. In Gujarat, they came to be known as Patidars with their ownership of lands. From thereon they got the name of Patels, In U.P, they became kanbi from kunbi-kulmi, all derived from kurmikshatriyas. This community has evolved from being warriors to Land owners to Patels. But wherever they went, they prayed to Maa Umiya. Since they originated from Punjab, their surnames were taken from the various towns of Punjab.
For example, from Modleh to Mollot, from Rohitgadh to Rusat, from Avadh to Avadhiya, from Kanoj to Kanojiya etc.
On the border of U.P and Bihar, the king of madhvati, Vrajpal Sinhji had lost the battle to Chandrasen, the king of Mahet. That is why he had to flee to Gujarat, and he came to Siddhpur for Matrushraddha. Here he met his own community members, and on their insistence he stayed at Unjha and then settled there. He established the temple of Umiya Mataji in the BC 156, vikram samvat 212 and did a big Havan.
The patidars settled in the state of Gujarat from BC 1200 to 1250. They always prayed to Maa Umiya. The Goddess Ushadevi, worshipped as the Goddess of Wealth and prosparity, in the Vedas is Maa Umadevi only. On every Aso Sud 8, in the temple of Maa Umiya at Unjha, the Palli are filled. In the neighboring villages also they fill.
According to the mythological tale, Maa Umiya was established by Lord Shankar himself at Unjha. In the year 156 BC Vikram Samvat- 212, king Vrajpal Sinhji constructed the temple. King Avnipat had done a very big yagna with the one lac twenty five thousand coconuts and a well full of ghee. In the vikram samvat 1122/24, Vegda Gami constructed the temple.which was demolished by Alluddin Khilji’s commander Ullugh Khan. That temple was where currently the Mollot wing houses the Sheshshayi. The statue of the Mataji is carefully preserved at Mollot's big Madh and today there is a Gokh there. It is the true foundation of the Mataji's temple. Here on Aaso Sud – 8, the palli is filled. Here on Jeth Sud- 2, were celebrated the traditional 'Hel khelna na halotra','Bhatwari' and 'Shukun'.
Current Temple was made with the contribution from each house Patidar Community house in the vikram samvat 1943, and the year 1887 AD. The construction of the temple was started by Shri Ram Chandra Mansukh lal and after him by Shri Rav bhahdur Bechardas Lashkari. In these endeavors, contribution was made by the Gaikwads government and also by Patdi Darbar. In the Vastupujan of the temple, the representatives of the Gaikwad were present and they offered valuable clothes to the deity. And they offered their respects to Shree Bechardas Lashkari also. At that time, Shree Ngardas Ugar das Ptel Mollot and Shree Kushaldas Rusate offered the Gold Shikhar with the Rs.2000/- offerings.
After that in the year 1894 Ad, the Mansarovar was built. For the construction of the temple, under the leadership of Shri Bechardas lashkari, a Panch committee was appointed. The stone work of this construction and the Mansarovar building is available with the trust.
In the year 1931, this trust was formed and in the year 1952, this trust was registered with the number A/943.