Who made the first temple of Maa Umiya is not exactly recorded. According to the Vahivancha Barots records, Lord Shiva established the temple of Maa Umiya at Unjha. After that King Vrajpal Sinhji, made the temple and did a big Yagya. After that King Avnipat, did the Pranpratistha of Maa Umiya and offered one lac twenty five thousand coconuts to the deity and also a well full of Ghee.
After that, the temple became old and in the vikram samvat 1122/24, the Vegda Gami of Gami Sakh, made the temple of Maa Umiya. The current temple of Maa Umiya was located at the place of Sheshshayi Bhagwan of the Mollot village. In the vikram samvat 1356, this temple was demolished by Ullugh Khan, the commander of the Sultan of Delhi, Allauddin Khailji. Where today, the Gokh of the Mollots Mota Madh stands, there the statue of the deity was kept. And because the temple of the Mata ji was there, the Palli, of Mataji, on every Jeth Sud, the grains were offered and distributed to determine the auspicious time. In the 18th and the 19th century, during the English rule, there was peace. The temple of Mataji with limestone and bricks was laid at the current place, though who did the same and when is not established. The fort of the temple was made in the vikram samvat 1873 to 1879.
Instead of the Bricks and Limestone temple of Maa Umiya, the new stone temple was built in the year 1887. Shri Ramchandra Mansukhlal called for the meetings of the leaders of the Kadva patidar community at different places and collected the fund of Rs. 100,000/- for the same. And he got the new stone temple built from vikram samvat 1921 to 1856. After that, to complete the unfinished work, the Raibhadur Bechardas Ambadas lashkari called for the meeting of 400 well known Kadva patidar community members and collected the necessary funds on 18-01-1883 at his own place and under his leadership, a Panch was formed to take care of the further temple construction activities that included the famous patidars from Unjha, Kadi, Chanasma, Mehsana, Sardhav, Langhanaj, Rupal and pilodara. The Gaikwad Shree also sent Rs. 15000/- towards the fund.On 25-01-1884, iit was decided by the Panchs to ask for one rupee from each kadva patidar home for the fund. From the money so collected, the unfinished work of the temple was started afresh.The construction of the temple was completed on vikram samvat 1943 and on 06-02-1887, the Vastu poojan was done. The temple gates were opened. The Gaikwads presented a costly dress as the offering to the deity. BEchardas Lashkari also offered a shawl, a Joto and a Pagdi. At that time, Shri Nagardas Ugardas Patel-Mollot and shri Kushaldas Kishordas patel- Rusat took the pledge of offering the gold shikhar worth rs. 2000/-
The architectural plans of the mansarovar are kept at the temple
The temple building came into the existence on the 02-05-1931, vikram samvat 1987 and in the year 1952, the trust was registered at Mehsana with the registration no. A/943.
The main architects of the temple from year 1931 to 1956 were as under
After that this committee helped in the construction of the shops, rest houses, power house, small dharamshala, tower, committee hall etc from the year 1971-72.